The study was released this morning and published by the National Academy of Sciences. It’s free to download, and looks at over 16,000 conflicts during 1990-2009.
Look, Obama and Romney need to discuss climate change tonight, even if it’s in the context of national security - it has to happen.
A study relating climate to conflict in East African nations finds that increased rainfall dampens conflict while unusually hot periods can cause a flare-up, reinforcing the theory that climate change will cause increased scarcity in the region. The study was published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Politicians and many scientists have called climate change a security risk, based on the idea that unusual variations in weather are likely to put immense strain on rural societies dependent on farming and livestock for survival. But the results of studies trying to confirm such a hypothesis have been mixed.
The authors of the new study, from the University of Colorado and the National Center for Atmospheric Research, believe that problems with previous studies may have contributed to previous failures to link climate and conflict, including the use of data only at the country level rather than at the regional or local level.
Instead, the researchers used a conflict database called the Armed Conflict Location and Event Dataset, or ACLED, which provides location-specific tracking of individual events across Africa — from large-scale acts of war to local fights over farmland.
And this wasn’t covered at all in the debates.
- econtacted likes this
- teennakedmodels likes this
- bootywurrk reblogged this from bestesh-mensch
- bestesh-mensch reblogged this from fearandwar
- pensamientosabsurdos likes this
- madrid-taco reblogged this from victusinveritas
- lettersiarrange reblogged this from le-kif-kif
- erisandkallisti likes this
- smidgetz likes this
- agooddaytowhy reblogged this from theblackcommunist
- theblackcommunist likes this
- jamienguyenle likes this
- snoitcelferreflections likes this
- dermoosealini reblogged this from amodernmanifesto
- serendipityschild likes this
- politicsonaseriousnote reblogged this from loveisthewateroflife
- rubyshimmer likes this
- loveisthewateroflife reblogged this from infinity-imagined
- loveisthewateroflife likes this
- profane-tmesis likes this
- ravendruid42 likes this
- edmndo reblogged this from infinity-imagined
- mycostile likes this
- famemouse likes this
- scuzzlebutt likes this
- thankneptune reblogged this from infinity-imagined
- livinitloud likes this
- annatheanimator likes this
- cpjangofett reblogged this from infinity-imagined
- d34d1n51d3 reblogged this from infinity-imagined
- novabuttz likes this
- jaw-shwa likes this
- slimysomething reblogged this from infinity-imagined
- blindtricks likes this
- anindiantravels likes this
- thehair-notentertained likes this
- culturerevo likes this
- starcaptain reblogged this from infinity-imagined
- detrea likes this
- shackledfreedom likes this
- nerdargyle999 likes this
- skepticamongthefaithful likes this
- apoliticalnonsense likes this
- gracefree reblogged this from sinidentidades
- urmonotheismus likes this
- effectiveresistance likes this
- eb-n-flow reblogged this from sinidentidades
- tenderqweer reblogged this from sinidentidades
- angryaboutcrimes reblogged this from sinidentidades