Turkish and Syria traded artillery fire for the fourth day in a row Saturday as rebels clashed with President Bashar Assad’s forces near the border, heightening fears that the crisis could erupt into a regional conflict.
Also Saturday, Syrian Defense Minister Gen. Fahd Jassem al-Freij vowed to crush the rebellion and bring the violence that has engulfed the country to an end.
The diplomatic crisis began on Wednesday, when a Syrian shell killed five civilians in a Turkish border town and triggered unprecedented artillery strikes by Turkey. Ankara has deployed more troops to its southern border with Syria, and has responded to each shell that has struck Turkish soil with its own artillery barrage.
On Friday, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan cautioned Damascus not to test Turkey’s “limits and determination” and said Ankara was not bluffing in saying it won’t tolerate such acts.
Saturday’s cross-border exchange began when two mortar shells fired from Syria landed in rural areas near the Turkish village of Guvecci, prompting Turkish return fire, Turkey’s media reported.
- theonecalledbiz reblogged this from warshing
- thewaronindifference reblogged this from jayaprada
- lenghtyflows likes this
- questionall likes this
- theyoungradical reblogged this from crookedthinking95
- fromstarstostarfish likes this
- they-exist-in-the-sky reblogged this from jayaprada
- they-exist-in-the-sky likes this
- thegermansmakegoodstuff likes this
- warshing reblogged this from theamericanbear
- leftistnaija reblogged this from theamericanbear
- randomactsofchaos reblogged this from jayaprada
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- theamericanbear reblogged this from jayaprada
- crookedthinking95 likes this
- crookedthinking95 reblogged this from neoliberalismkills
- awkwardjosephstalin reblogged this from jayaprada
- the-uncensored-she likes this
- theamericanbear likes this
- occultrock likes this
- jayaprada posted this